Duterte’s 3rd SONA ‘very exciting’: Andanar

MANILA — With acclaimed film director Joyce Bernal calling the shots, President Rodrigo Duterte’s third State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 23 is expected to be “very exciting,” a Palace official said.

“It should be a very exciting SONA as far as directing is concerned,” Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar said in an interview over radio DZRH on Monday night.

After inspecting the Batasang Pambansa plenary hall on Thursday last week, Andanar said Bernal’s team conducted a ‘run-through’ at Malacanang on Monday.

“They had a townhall. So Director Joyce explained what she wants to happen, what she wants to show during the State of the Nation Address,” Andanar said.

The communications chief said Duterte’s third SONA is another opportunity for Bernal to showcase her art talents.

“But what I can tell you is that, Director Joyce is very busy. Actually she is really hands on in this SONA,” Andanar said.

Bernal had expressed her desire to capture how “patriotic” President Duterte is in his third SONA on Monday.

“Let’s get into the psyche on how he would deliver and report all his accomplishments or his plans for the Philippines. I want it to be patriotic,” Bernal told the media after an ocular inspection at Batasang Pambansa last week.

Bernal also wants to show Duterte as a “mayor, father, and President”.

The film and movie director replaced Brillante Mendoza, the director of the Chief Executive’s first two SONAs.

Earlier, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte will read his SONA speech in not more than 35 minutes since many of Duterte’s accomplishments in his second year in office had already been shared by Cabinet clusters in a three-part series pre-SONA.

Roque said the President will deliver his third SONA ‘straight from the heart’. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...