El Niño destroys P605-M crops, affects 18K farmers in BARMM

By Edwin Fernandez/PNA

PARCHED FARM. A farmer in Maguindanao shows his parched rice field due to the weak El Niño that hit the region since last month. (Photo courtesy of MAFAR – BARMM)

COTABATO CITY — An estimated PHP605-million worth of agricultural crops in two provinces of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) were destroyed by the weak El Niño that has struck the region since early February, a regional agricultural official said Friday.

Dr. Mohammad Yacob, head of the BARMM Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Agrarian Reform (MAFAR), said the cost of damages could even go higher as reports from three other provinces of the region — Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi – have yet to come.

Citing the March 26 report of BARMM Task Force El Niño, Yacob said the data was only from the provinces of Maguindanao and Lanao del Sur, where 10,818 hectares of rice and 11,039 hectares of corn are affected.

“Of the total 21,857 hectares affected, 11,050 hectares were considered totally damaged and (has) no chance of recovery,” he said.

A total of 18,423 farmers have been affected in the two provinces, with Lanao del Sur having 11,087 farmers affected and 7,336 in Maguindanao.

Yacob said ahead of the weak El Niño, the MAFAR started implementing mitigating measures to cushion the impact of the dry season that included planting of heat-resistant variety of agricultural crops, use of open source pump irrigation system and shallow tube wells.

“Also included in the mitigating measures was the massive vaccination of livestock across the two provinces,” he added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...