Eleazar asks public for patience at quarantine control points

Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Police Gen. Guillermo Eleazar asked the public for their patience as long lines of vehicles are expected at the quarantine control points (QCPs) established for the enforcement of a stricter lockdown on August 6 to 20 in the National Capital Region (NCR).

“Bilang dating commander ng Joint Task Force [JTF] COVID Shield, nakita ko based on experience ang matinding traffic sa mga border control points sa bawat pagpapatupad ng mahigpit na quarantine rules sa Metro Manila, kaya naman nagkaroon kami noon ng mga istratehiya upang mabawasan ang traffic build-up, na siya namang inaasahan kong ipatupad lalo na sa pagsisimula ng ECQ [enhanced community quarantine] implementation sa August 6,” Eleazar said.

The Chief PNP was the commander of JTF COVID Shield when Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon were placed under ECQ in March last year. 

It was the JTF COVID Shield under his leadership that laid down the strategies that include the setting up of what is now called quarantine control points, as well as dedicated control points to ensure the smooth travel of cargo and trucks delivering essential goods.

One of the strategies implemented by Eleazar as JTF COVID Shield commander was allowing all vehicles to pass the QCPs to ease traffic build-up, but these vehicles would be subjected to random checks at mobile checkpoints set up in key areas within Metro Manila. 

Border checkpoints were installed at NCR Plus beginning 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 1,  following the directive of Interior Secretary Eduardo Año to restrict the movement of the public and to ensure that only essential travel and services as well as the free movement of goods will be allowed. 

Eleazar advised the public to prepare, beforehand, the required documents to be presented to police officers manning the QCPs. 

“Sa mga APORs [authorized persons outside residence], ihanda ninyo na rin ang inyong mga dokumento o IDs na kailangan para maging mabilis ang pag-usad ng pila sa ating mga QCPs,” Eleazar said. 

“Hinihingi din namin ang kooperasyon ng ating mga kababayan na manatili na lang sa bahay kung kinakailangan, dahil hindi din naman sila papayagan pumasok sa Metro Manila at magiging bahagi lang sila ng suliranin sa trapiko, at baka mahawa pa sila ng Delta [COVID-19 variant] dahil sa katigasan ng ulo, lalo na kung hindi naman sila bakunado,” he added.

Metro Manila will be placed under ECQ  from August 6 to 20 amid the threat posed by the more infectious coronavirus Delta variant.  (PNP-PIO) – jlo

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...