Elite Army battalion deployed in Sulu vs Abu Sayyaf

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) deployed a battalion of elite troops to defeat the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in the province of Sulu.

Deployed in Sulu is the Army’s 5th Scout Ranger Battalion, which was deployed in Marawi City at the height of the battle against the Daesh-inspired Maute Group just after the unit was activated last year.

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief, on Monday led the send-off ceremony of the battalion held at Camp Basilio Navarro in this city.

The program was held after Monday’s flag raising ceremony.

The battalion, headed by Lt. Col. Mario Jomalesa, underwent a series of trainings at Camp Gen. Arturo Enrile in this city after its stint in Marawi City.

“I am sure that you will do well in defeating the threats in Sulu as you did a great job in leading the fight to liberate Marawi City from the claws of the terrorists,” Galvez told the scout rangers.

“I am confident that you will be able to deliver the soonest,” he added.

Five, including a junior officer, of the 5th Scout Ranger battalion were awarded Gold Cross Medals for gallantry during the series of firefight against the Maute Group last year in Marawi City.

The awardees were First Leiutenant Jay-arr Quiapo; Sergeant Gerry Gaspar Padayogdog; Sergeant Antonio Basa; Corporal Lisan Aspacio; and, Corporal Rodrigo Novilla. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr/PNA)

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...