Energy facilities not affected by Batangas quake: DOE

MANILA, Aug. 12 — The 6.3-magnitude earthquake that struck near Nasugbu, Batangas at 1:28 p.m. Friday did not cause any power outage as it did not affect any energy facility.

In a news release issued late Friday, the Department of Energy (DOE) said that after the quake, major energy facilities situated in Batangas, including the Malampaya offshore platform in the West Philippine Sea, were operating normally and remained in good condition.

The department noted that on the supply side, post-earthquake initial inspections showed that the integrity of the Malampaya subsea pipeline and onshore gas plant was also not affected.

The onshore gas supply line to the natural gas power plants owned by First Gen Corp. (Tabangao-Sta. Rita pipeline) was also being inspected.

On the transmission side, power grid operator National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) reported that power transmission services were stable.

In a separate advisory, the NGCP said the grid remained intact as no power interruption had been reported and that it was assessing transmission facilities in Metro Manila and surrounding areas.

For distribution, the Manila Electric Co. (MERALCO) reported no outage, saying none of its facilities was affected. The utility serving Metro Manila and its nearby provinces has been operating normally.

Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi has directed the DOE to monitor the energy situation continuously and to provide updates when available. (DOE PR)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...