Facebook to reduce “low-quality” links in News Feed to filter out fake news

SAN FRANCISCO, July 1 — Facebook Inc. said Friday it has made an update available to help “reduce low-quality links in News Feed”.

The update, apparently an effort to filter out spam and fake news, is based on the social media network’s research findings that there is a tiny group of people who routinely share vast amounts of public posts per day, effectively spamming people’s feeds.

“Our research further shows that the links they share tend to include low-quality content, such as clickbait, sensationalism, and misinformation,” said Facebook, which claims to be “always working to improve people’s experience in News Feed by showing more stories that we think people will find informative and entertaining”.

“As a result, we want to reduce the influence of these spammers and deprioritize the links they share more frequently than regular sharers. Of course, this is only one signal among many others that may affect the ranking prioritization of this type of post. This update will only apply to links, such as an individual article, not to domains, Pages, videos, photos, check-ins or status updates.”

By taking steps like this to improve News Feed, Facebook claimed it would be able to surface more stories that people find informative and reduce the spread of problematic links, such as clickbait, sensationalism and misinformation.

Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of the technology company headquartered in Menlo Park, Northern California, announced earlier this week that it reached a new milestone Tuesday with 2 billion people worldwide connecting to Facebook every month. (Xinhua) | via PNA

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...