Filipina caregiver hurt in Israel missile strike dies—DFA

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) building/ PNA file photo

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed the death of Leah Mosquera on Sunday, July 13, the Filipina caregiver who sustained severe injuries during a missile attack in Rehovot, Israel on June 15.

In a statement, the DFA said Mosquera’s passing was relayed by her sister, who is also an overseas Filipino worker in Israel.

“The Department conveys its deepest condolences to Ms. Mosquera’s family and loved ones,” the DFA said.

The Philippine Embassy in Tel Aviv is coordinating with authorities for the immediate repatriation of Mosquera’s remains.

The DFA also thanked the Israeli medical personnel who cared for Mosquera during her hospitalization, as well as the Filipino community in Israel who supported her and her family throughout the ordeal.

“The Department thanks the medical professionals who took care of Ms. Mosquera, as well as the Filipino community in Israel who offered comfort and support to her family during her hospitalization,” it said.

As the nation mourns, the DFA renewed its call for the protection of civilians and migrant workers amid armed conflict.

Mosquera was one of the casualties when a missile struck a residential building in Rehovot, south of Tel Aviv, following back-and-forth attacks between Israel and Iran last month. She had been confined in critical condition for weeks before succumbing to her injuries.

There are around 30,000 Filipinos living and working in Israel, mostly employed in the caregiving and household sectors. 

The Philippine government continues to monitor the security situation, and has advised Filipinos in Israel to remain alert and follow local safety protocols. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...