Filipino seamen missing after abandoning burning ship off Hawaii

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA

MANILA — Five Filipino seafarers were reported missing by the Department of Foreign Affairs after abandoning their burning cargo vessel off Hawaii.

According to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato, the seamen have yet to be found two weeks since the incident occurred.

The five were among 21 Filipino crew members of the MV Sincerity Ace, who abandoned the Panamanian-flagged vessel after it caught fire on New Year’s Eve – some 1,800 nautical miles northwest of Oahu.

Cato said a tugboat and another vessel had been sent to the area to locate the five missing sailors.

The 16 other Filipino seafarers were rescued by the United States Coast Guard and other passing merchant vessels.

Cato said most of the rescued seafarers have already returned to the Philippines.

Sincerity Ace was en route to Hawaii from Japan and was carrying 3,500 brand new vehicles when the fire broke out, forcing the crew to abandon ship.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...