Filipinos in N. California warned vs. wildfire

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday advised Filipinos in the path of a dangerous wildfire in Northern California in the United States to follow local advisories after authorities ordered residents to evacuate.

The agency told reporters Wednesday it is “closely monitoring” the situation of the more than 1,700 Filipinos in Lake County, located 178 kilometers from the state capital, Sacramento.

The fire burning in the region has consumed 11,500 acres of land – roughly 4,654 hectares – and destroyed dozens of buildings, with 600 more being threatened by the flames.

On Tuesday, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in the affected area.

While no injuries or casualties were reported, the DFA, through Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato, echoed the Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco’s call on Filipinos to “heed evacuation orders.”

Consul General Bensurto said the Consulate has been in touch with authorities in Lake County, adding that no Filipino has so far been reported affected by the fire.

Filipino nationals in the region, who may require assistance are advised to get in touch with the Consulate. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...