Firecracker injuries in Pangasinan down by 17%

By Ahikam Pasion/PNA

LAST INSPECTION BEFORE THE REVELRY. Policemen inspect firecracker zone before the new year revelry in Mangatarem town to ensure no sale of illegal firecrackers on Monday (December 31, 2018). (Photo courtesy of Mangatarem Police Station)

MALASIQUI, Pangasinan — The Pangasinan Provincial Health Office (PHO) has recorded 34 cases of firecracker injuries from Dec. 21, 2018 to Jan.1 this year, which is 17 percent lower than last year’s 41 cases.

The PHO also received a report of one victim of stray bullet involving 29-year-old Jose Marie Baniqued from Barangay Malimpuec in Basista. He was hit on his right thigh on December 31.

However, he refused to be hospitalized.

Dr. Anna Teresa De Guzman, provincial health officer, said on Wednesday the highest number of injuries was recorded on Tuesday since they started monitoring last December 21.

“Twenty-six of the total number of incidents were active victims, meaning they were the ones who used or lit the firecrackers while eight cases were passive victims,” de Guzman said.

The firecrackers which mostly caused the injuries were kwitis (seven), boga (four), bawang (four), triangle (three), mixed firecrackers (three), pla-pla (two), piccolo (two), luces (two), baby rocket (two), 5-star (two), whistle bomb, fountain and one unknown firecracker.

“Most of victims are between 15 to 19 years old. The youngest victims are between one to four years old, while the oldest is 75-year old,” de Guzman said.

She added that 24 of the total number of victims injured their hands; four suffered eye damage; three on their face; two on their chest and one knee/leg injury. “All blasting and burns, but there were no amputations and no mortality,” de Guzman said.

Despite the number, the PHO is still glad about the low turnout rate of victims.

“We are hoping that the number of firecracker victims will continue to decrease as the years pass by,” de Guzman added.

Meanwhile, Dr. Estachis Niel Espino, department head of Pangasinan Provincial Hospital (PPH)– Emergency Room said on Wednesday that the decrease was attributed to the Department of Health’s effective and relentless campaign against the use of firecrackers.

“Another reason is that because firecrackers have now become expensive,” Espino said.

The PPH remains on full alert status.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...