
By Brian Jules Campued
A 31-year old fisherfolk who had been adrift in the West Philippine Sea for eight days was rescued by a small Chinese fishing boat, the Armed Forces of the Philippines-Western Command (AFP-WESCOM) said Monday.
Rosalon Cayon, a resident of Brgy. Liberty, Puerto Princesa City, went fishing with another fisherfolk in two separate boats last Dec. 20, 2023.
However, Cayon’s boat developed a hole in its hull, causing it to capsize about 40 nautical miles off the coast of Buliluyan in mainland Palawan.
According to the AFP-WESCOM, Cayon used a piece of styrofoam to stay afloat.
“After eight days at sea, Cayon was spotted and rescued by a sampan – a Chinese small fishing boat,” the AFP-WESCOM statement read.
“The Chinese fishermen brought him safely to the Rizal Reef Detachment (RRD) where he is currently being treated and taken care of by Filipino troops stationed there,” it further read.
The AFP-WESCOM said it has already notified the fisher’s family regarding his rescue, and has coordinated plans for Cayon’s evacuation and safe return home. – cf