Five Koronadal businesses shut down for health protocol violations

By Allen Estabillo | Philippine News Agency

KORONADAL CITY – Five business establishments have been meted with five-day temporary closure while 82 others received warnings from the city government for violating the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) safety protocols.

City Mayor Eliordo Ogena said Wednesday (Sept. 29) the move was based on a series of random surprise inspections conducted since last week by a composite team commissioned by the local government.

He said the five businesses that were ordered closed for at least five days are two swimming resorts, two bars, and a used clothing or “ukay-ukay” shop.

These establishments failed to comply with the minimum health standards, including the observance of safe physical distancing and wearing of face masks by customers and workers, he said.

“With a heavy heart I did that because I want to send the message to everybody that while we want the economy to grow and want the economy not to be disturbed, we want also everyone to observe the basic health protocols,” Ogena said in a radio interview.

He said the 82 other establishments were given citation tickets and warnings for failing to fully comply with health protocols.

“Hopefully they will be more careful and others will be more careful because we are not joking here,” he said.

The mayor said the composite team will continue to conduct surprise visits and inspections in the coming days on business establishments within the city’s 27 barangays.

He earlier issued a memorandum renewing the mandate of the team as endorsed by the department heads and members of the city’s incident management team.

The team is headed by the City Health Office and backed up by personnel from the City Licensing Office, Community Affairs Office, City Environment and Natural Resources Office, and the city police.

Ogena said it is important for the local government to sustain the compliance monitoring on business establishments to control the spread of Covid-19 in the city.

He said businesses and residents need to strictly follow the health protocols as it is the most effective measure to stop local transmission.

“If they will not do that, we might be overwhelmed by Covid. We have to do a balancing act,” he said.

As of 6 p.m. Tuesday (Sept. 28), the active Covid-19 cases in the city dropped to 532, after reaching an all-time high of 779 on Sept. 19.

The confirmed infections in the city since last year already reached a total of 5,714, with 183 related deaths and 4,999 recoveries. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...