Floods submerge 16 towns in Maguindanao

COTABATO CITY – Floods brought by heavy rains the past several days have immersed 16 of 36 towns in knee-deep waters in Maguindanao, the provincial social welfare office reported Monday.

Myrna Jocelyn Henry, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao–Humanitarian Emergency Assistance Response Team (ARMM-HEART) information officer, said they are currently coordinating with the Maguindanao social welfare office for the simultaneous distribution of relief goods on Tuesday to the affected areas.

The towns affected included Mangudadatu (8 barangays – 3, 417 families); Shariff Saydona (5 barangays – 1, 812 families); Sultan sa Barongis (5 barangays – 1, 612 families); Sultan Kudarat (16 barangays – 4, 980 families); Ampatuan (3 barangays – 646 families); Sultan Mastura (6 barangays – 1, 014 families); Northern Kabuntalan (10 barangays – 3, 112 families); and Mother Kabuntalan (17 barangays – 3, 868 families). Also inundated were Rajah Buayan (10 barangays – 1, 912 families); Buluan (5 barangays – 973 families); Mamasapano (13 barangays – 4, 523 families); Datu Salibo (17 barangays – 3, 281 families); Datu Paglat (3 barangays – 1, 702 families); Datu Paglas (1 barangay – 189 families); Datu Piang (3 barangays – 300 families); and Pandag (8 barangays – 1, 932 families).

Henry said though affected, most families preferred to stay at home while others sought refuge to houses of relatives living on higher grounds while waiting for the floodwater to recede.

A Low Pressure Area caused by Tropical Storm Paolo that affected most parts of Visayas and Mindanao last week triggered the heavy rains. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...