Fresh earthquake strikes Turkey, killing 3

(Photo courtesy of USGS)

VOA News

Another earthquake struck the border region of Turkey and Syria on Monday, killing at least three people and coming two weeks after the area was devastated by a massive quake that left nearly 45,000 people dead.

Monday’s earthquake had a magnitude of 6.4 and centered in the town of Defne, in Turkey’s Hatay province, an area that was severely damaged by the Feb. 6 quake.

The new quake was felt in multiple countries, including Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt, and was followed by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said three people were killed and more than 200 others were injured.

“All of a sudden, the building shook. I immediately ran downstairs from the second floor. It shook terribly. It’s very sad,” Gaziantep resident Ahmet Kilic told VOA’s Turkish Service.

He said he was afraid to return to his house because he lives alone.

Another Gaziantep resident, Zeynep Deveci, told VOA he had just returned to his home following the February 6 quake.

“Yesterday I came back, and today we are on the street again. We don’t know what our end will be.”

Rescue workers were searching in several collapsed buildings in Hatay where people were believed to be trapped.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that six people were injured in Aleppo.

Also Monday, a United Nations (UN) convoy carrying relief supplies made its way through a newly opened border crossing into Syria at Al-Ra’ee.

UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said there are now three fully operating border crossings for the UN to enter Syria.

He said the UN has now dispatched 227 trucks to rebel-held areas in northwest Syria and said preparations are underway to send more trucks through all three border crossings.

In Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited Hatay earlier on Monday and said his government would begin next month to construct nearly 200,000 new homes in the province.

Also Monday, Erdogan met in Ankara with visiting US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who a day earlier announced US pledges of $100 million in additional aid for Turkey and Syria.

The new aid brings the total US assistance to $185 million and will be provided to international and nongovernmental groups that have been involved in the rescue and recovery efforts.

“The United States is here to support you in your time of need, and we will be by your side as long as it takes to recover and rebuild,” Blinken told reporters Monday during a joint news conference with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu. – gb

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...