GenSan all set for 2018 Kalilangan fest

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — It’s “all systems go” for the city’s week-long grand festivities in line with the 2018 Kalilangan Festival and 79th foundation anniversary celebration that will formally open on Thursday, Feb. 22.

City Councilor Shandee Llido-Pestano, Kalilangan festival director, said Tuesday, they are ready with the lined up activities for this year’s celebration, which mainly highlights the city’s rich history and cultural heritage.

This year’s festival, which will run until Feb. 27, focuses on the theme: “Cultivating Culture, Inspiring New Ways.”

It was co-organized by the city government, Mindanao State University-General Santos and the Department of Tourism in Region 12.

“We have added various innovations and more attractions to make the celebration grander and more festive,” Pestano said.

She said these include historical and cultural activities that depict the city’s development in nearly eight decades from a coastal settlement to a booming commercial and industrial center.

As in the past celebrations, most of the lined up activities will be held anew at the city’s oval plaza grounds, where a carnival, flea market and food strip initially opened last week.

Daily cultural and entertainment shows featuring “world-class” artists were in the entire duration of the festivities.

These include the usual crowd-drawing events such as the Doble Kara Singing Contest, Parada ng Lahi, Kadsagayan Streetdancing Competition, Kapehan sa Kalilangan and the Agri-Fair.

Special activities were set for the opening of the festival on Feb. 22 and the culmination on Feb. 27, which was the city’s 79th foundation day.

It was in honor of the historic landing in the shores of Sarangani of the city’s 62 pioneer settlers coming from Luzon and Visayas led by Gen. Paulino Santos on Feb. 27, 1939.

The Kalilangan Festival, which is now on its 29th year, was derived from the Maguindanaon word kalilang, which means celebration. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...