German, New Zealand doctors in PH to do charity surgeries

MANILA– A team of medical experts from Germany and New Zealand are in the Philippines to conduct charity surgery on at least 78 children with cleft palate until Friday.

New Zealand Ambassador to the Philippines David Stratchan said that about 2,000 Filipino children already benefitted from the project since its establishment in the ’90s.

On Saturday, the German Embassy and New Zealand Embassy to Manila held a joint event to honor the philanthropic works of Operation Restore Hope, which had been conducting the charity surgeries in the Philippines for at least 20 years.

Stratchan said the more than 30 doctors this year are dedicating their own professional time to the humanitarian work on a voluntary basis.

In an interview with reporters, Tristan de Chalain, head of the Operation Restore Hope said this year’s medical mission will be in Parañaque City.

Hector Gonzales, a New Zealand medical expert born in Bulacan province, was among the 30 medical experts who took their annual leave especially for the yearly humanitarian mission.

“It’s very humbling because we like this to be a good inspiration for families and children that we see, that in the future, they will be able to strive to attain their dreams,” he said when asked what drives him to continue the cause.

When asked with the same question, de Chalain said Operation Restore Hope is simply an act of giving unconditionally.

“We believe that if there is somebody in need, what will happen to that person if we don’t do something? And if we can do something, why don’t we do it? That’s what it’s all about.” (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...