‘God’s Influencer’ to become first millennial saint in September

GOD’S INFLUENCER. A picture shows the tomb of Blessed Carlo Acutis, an adolescent who spent his life spreading his faith online, in the Shrine of the Renunciation in Assisi, part of the Church of Saint Mary Major, on April 3, 2025. After being delayed due to Pope Francis’ death, the world’s first millennial saint, who died in 2006 at aged 15, will be canonized on Sept. 7 by Pope Leo XIV. (Photo by Tiziana Fabi / AFP / FILE)

By Agence France-Presse

Italian millennial Carlo Acutis, dubbed “God’s Influencer”, will be elevated to sainthood in September after the original ceremony was delayed by Pope Francis’ death in April, the Vatican said Friday.

Pope Leo XIV rescheduled to Sept. 7 the canonization of Acutis, who died of leukemia in 2006 at the age of 15. He had been set to be made a saint on April 27.

Nicknamed the “Cyber Apostle”, the teenager had an ardent faith from a young age and used his computer skills to spread the Catholic faith online, notably creating a digital exhibition on miracles.

Italian student Pier Giorgio Frassati (1901-1925), renowned for his social commitment and passion for mountain climbing, will be canonized on the same day.

Leo will raise seven others to sainthood on Oct. 19.

They include Papua New Guinea’s first saint, Pierre To Rot, a lay catechist executed by Japan in 1945; Ignace Shoukrallah Maloyan, an archbishop who died in 1915 and the Venezuelan “doctor of the poor,” Jose Gregorio Hernandez Cisneros, who died in 1919.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...