Government to ensure proper disposal of health care waste, says Nograles

IATF PR

Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases spokesperson Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles on Monday assured the public that measures were in place to ensure the proper disposal of health care waste as more confirmed Covid-19 cases are brought to the nation’s hospitals.

In his regular daily briefing, Nograles acknowledged that “an emerging concern involves the disposal of health care waste.”

Nograles pointed out that “there is an existing protocol under the Infection Control in Healthcare Facilities regarding how to handle health care waste.”

“As a protocol, all health care waste is pre-treated with chemical disinfectant such as hypochlorite solution. Furthermore, private hospitals in Metro Manila and in urban centers are served by private waste treaters and disposal systems service providers.”

According to the Palace official, the Department of Health is also working to disseminate information, particularly to field personnel, regarding the need to pre-treat waste like used PPEs for PUIs or Covid-19 patients at home quarantine.

The former lawmaker added that the DOH would soon be issuing guidelines on the use of hypochlorite solution for the infection prevention of COVID-19.

In the midst of the outbreak, Nograles explained that local government units should work to ensure proper waste management and segregation in their areas.

Nograles said the government urges our LGUs “to continuously intensify their campaigns on proper waste management and segregation as they are responsible for solid waste management in their respective jurisdictions.”

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...