Gov’t aid to ‘Kristine’, ‘Leon’ victims reaches P1.2-B

RELIEF EFFORTS. Some 4,612 families affected by Severe Tropical Storm Kristine in Bula, Camarines Sur receives family food packs from the Department of Social Welfare and Development Field Office 5 – Bicol Region on Sunday (Nov. 3, 2024). The local government unit also distributed five-kilo rice to each family. (Photo courtesy of DSWD Field Office 5 – Bicol)

By Brian Campued

The government has distributed at least P1.2 billion to the victims of Severe Tropical Storm Kristine and Super Typhoon Leon, according to a situational report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) as of 7:00 a.m. Monday.

This assistance includes food and non-food items provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Office of the Civil Defense, local government units (LGUs), and non-government organizations.

In a social media post, the DSWD said that as of 6:00 p.m. Sunday it has released around 1,038,729 family food packs across regions affected by the recent tropical cyclones.

Kristine and Leon affected a total of 2,201,570 families or 8,634,862 individuals, the NDRRMC said. Kristine left at least 150 dead, 134 injured, and 20 missing.

Of these figures, around 55,626 displaced families or 223,164 persons have taken shelter in evacuation centers, while some 108,929 families or 521,783 individuals are outside temporary shelters.

Meanwhile, P5.9 billion worth of damages and losses to agriculture were recorded in Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), Ilocos, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, and SOCCSKSARGEN. 

Damages to infrastructure in CAR, Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Central Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, and SOCCSKSARGEN reached P7.5 billion.

Some 251 LGUs have also declared a State of Calamity in their areas.

Kristine battered most of Luzon on Oct. 21–25, causing widespread flooding and landslides and displacing millions of people, particularly in the Bicol Region. Leon lashed the extreme northern Luzon, especially Batanes, in the last week of October.

—avds

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...