Gov’t prepared for Omicron variant entry: DOH

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/ Philippine News Agency

The government assured it is prepared for the entry of the more transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant, the Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday.

In a Laging Handa briefing, DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire admitted the new variant has a high chance of entering the Philippines.

“From the start, hindi natin sasabihin definitely na hindi makakapasok. Ang pinag-uusapan natin diyan ay kung kailan,” she said.

“So the chances are there. Malakas po ang tiyansa na maaring makapasok dito sa atin at tayo naman po ay nagpre-prepare,” she added.

Vergeire reminded the public to get vaccinated and continue observing health and safety protocols, regardless of the variant.

As of this posting, no case of Omicron had been detected in the Philippines yet based on the result of the whole genome sequencing released December 9.

“[T]there was no sample positive for the Omicron variant. Na-isama po natin dito iyong isang arrival from South Africa kung saan lumabas po iyong sequencing result na ito po ay isang variant na B.1.1.203. Hindi po siya Omicron. Hindi rin po siya iyong mga variant na binabantayan natin dito sa ating bansa,” Vergeire said.

She also reported that the five returning overseas Filipinos (ROFs) from South Africa who were earlier tagged as missing have been located.

They yielded negative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction test results but will undergo retests.

Two unlocated ROFs from South Africa, meanwhile, were reportedly from Regions 4-B and 10 and had negative COVID-19 test results upon arrival.

“[D]umating po sila pareho ng November 22. So hanggang sa ngayon, our local governments are still locating these two passengers,” Vergeire said.

Vergeire assured the government closely monitors the entry of all foreigners and Filipinos. (PNA) -rir

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...