Gov’t seizes P3.4-B worth of ‘shabu’ at Manila port

BILLIONS WORTH OF SHABU SEIZED. Bureau of Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña holds a press conference after the inspection of 500 kilos of shabu worth PHP3.4 billion intercepted at the Manila International Container Port. (Photo by Ferdinand G. Patinio)

MANILA — The Bureau of Customs and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Tuesday seized around 500 kilos of shabu worth PHP3.4 billion at the Manila International Container Port (MICP) in Manila.

Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña led the inspection of the illegal drugs which were concealed in two magnetic lifters inside a 20-footer container van which arrived at the port on June 28 from Malaysia.

“The shipment was declared as door frames but upon checking it was discovered that it contains the magnetic lifters,” he told a press conference.

He noted that they were informed by PDEA about the illegal drug shipment, which was consigned to Vecaba Trading of 712 Galicia St., Sampaloc, Manila, which Lapeña said is not accredited by them.

Lapeña noted that the seizure is so far the biggest illegal drug confiscation since he assumed his post in August 2017.

Meanwhile, PDEA chief Aaron Aquino said the illegal drug shipment was equally distributed to the magnetic lifters.

The illegal drugs were discovered after making a small opening at the bottom of the lifter.

The shabu shipment has been turned over to PDEA. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...