Gov’t to expand vaccination vs. ASF in Visayas, Mindanao

ASF Vaccine
ASF VACCINE ROLLOUT. The Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry begins its first government-controlled vaccination against African swine fever (ASF) in Barangay Malapad na Parang, Lobo, Batangas on August 30, 2024. Lobo is one of the first towns in Batangas which declared a state of calamity due to ASF resurgence earlier this month. (Photo courtesy of Clay Pardilla/PTV News)

By Brian Campued

The government-controlled vaccination trial against African swine fever (ASF) will be expanded to other areas designated as “red zones” in Visayas and Mindanao, the Department of Agriculture (DA) Sec. Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said.

In a statement Tuesday, Laurel instructed the Bureau of Animal Industry to allot an initial 150,000 doses of ASF vaccines to La Union, Quezon, Mindoro, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, and Cebu.

The DA chief said this initiative aims to protect hog farms to “ensure a steady supply of pork in the market and stabilize prices.”

The agency launched the vaccination program among healthy pigs in Lobo, Batangas last August 30.

Around 10,000 doses of ASF vaccines were allocated for Batangas.

The DA has previously increased indemnification for diseased pigs surrendered for culling to the maximum of P12,000 per head. (with report from Cleizl Pardilla/PTV News)

– iro

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...