Gov’t to expand vaccination vs. ASF in Visayas, Mindanao

ASF Vaccine
ASF VACCINE ROLLOUT. The Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry begins its first government-controlled vaccination against African swine fever (ASF) in Barangay Malapad na Parang, Lobo, Batangas on August 30, 2024. Lobo is one of the first towns in Batangas which declared a state of calamity due to ASF resurgence earlier this month. (Photo courtesy of Clay Pardilla/PTV News)

By Brian Campued

The government-controlled vaccination trial against African swine fever (ASF) will be expanded to other areas designated as “red zones” in Visayas and Mindanao, the Department of Agriculture (DA) Sec. Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said.

In a statement Tuesday, Laurel instructed the Bureau of Animal Industry to allot an initial 150,000 doses of ASF vaccines to La Union, Quezon, Mindoro, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, and Cebu.

The DA chief said this initiative aims to protect hog farms to “ensure a steady supply of pork in the market and stabilize prices.”

The agency launched the vaccination program among healthy pigs in Lobo, Batangas last August 30.

Around 10,000 doses of ASF vaccines were allocated for Batangas.

The DA has previously increased indemnification for diseased pigs surrendered for culling to the maximum of P12,000 per head. (with report from Cleizl Pardilla/PTV News)

– iro

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...