Gov’t wants to make P20/kilo rice available to all by 2026 — Palace

RICE PROGRAM. A Food Terminal Inc. worker packs rice priced at P20 per kilo under the government’s “Benteng Bigas Meron Na” program inside Camp Crame in Quezon City on Friday (May 16, 2025). The program benefits vulnerable sectors, including persons with disabilities, senior citizens, Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program beneficiaries and solo parents. (Photo courtesy: Robert Oswald P. Alfiler / PNA)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

The Marcos administration is optimistic that all Filipinos, not just the vulnerable sectors, would be able to buy P20 per kilo of rice by 2026, Malacañang said on Friday.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro hoped that the plan is attainable to make the affordable rice available to all.

“Sa ngayon po sa Kadiwa centers, vulnerable sectors po ang makikinabang pansamantala hanggang December 2025,” Castro said in a Palace press briefing.

“Pero ang plano po, sa susunod na taon po ay magkaroon po ng budget para maibigay po ang P20 na bigas kada kilo sa lahat. Iyan po ang plano. Depende pa po sa budget,” she added.

Castro said more Kadiwa centers are now offering cheaper but quality rice, in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to ensure food security, affordability, and accessibility.

The P20-per-kilo rice program—dubbed as “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na”—is available in 32 Kadiwa ng Pangulo (KNP) sites in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.

The Department of Agriculture (DA) on Thursday bared its plan to make the affordable rice available in at least 55 KNP centers and stalls in June.

The DA is also targeting the inclusion of areas in Mindanao to make cheaper rice available to poor households.

Besides the provincial government of Cebu, other local government units have also ordered rice stocks from the National Food Authority, including Siquijor, Southern Leyte, and Bohol, with a total of 673,000 50-kg bags, according to the Food and Terminal Inc.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...