Gov’t to mitigate power shortage in Occidental Mindoro

Transmission line. (Photo courtesy of Pixabay)

By Christine Fabro

The national government has begun taking measures to address the issue on power shortage in Occidental Mindoro.

This, as the Occidental Mindoro Electric Cooperative, Inc. (OMECO) is facing a power shortage of about 22.5 megawatts (MWs), causing frequent power outages in the area.

In a statement, the Presidential Communications Office (PCO) said the National Electrification Administration (NEA) is taking steps to mitigate the power shortage by procuring additional power supply.

So far, it has facilitated and monitored the delivery of 17 MWs from DMCI Power Corp. and 5 MWs from Power Systems, Inc.

The Department of Energy, meanwhile, issued a Certificate of Exemption allowing OMECO to enter into a negotiated procurement for an Emergency Power Supply Agreement for 17 megawatts (MWs).

The department also facilitated the delivery and deployment of generation sets to vital facilities such as hospitals and commercial areas.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council along with other local government units provided the cost of the fuel to power the generation sets.

“To address the immediate power shortage, the Task Force Energy Resiliency will conduct daily briefings with the local government on the power situation and developments in Occidental Mindoro,” the PCO noted.

“The government agencies are committed to resolving the power shortage in Occidental Mindoro and are working towards long-term solutions,” it added. – ag

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...