Guevarra appoints 353 prosecutors in media cases

MANILA — A total of 353 prosecutors in different parts of the country have been appointed to lead the investigation of media-related cases being handled by the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS).

Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary and PTFoMS chairman Menardo Guevarra issued a department order on Aug. 28, directing the 353 prosecutors to become concurrent prosecutors under Administrative Order No. 01 (AO1) that created PTFoMS.

The prosecutors had been previously designated to investigate cases assigned to the Inter-Agency Committee on Extra-Legal Killings, Enforced Disappearances, Torture and other Grave Violations of the Right to Life, Liberty and Security of Persons, which, former President Benigno Aquino III created by virtue of AO No. 35 in 2012.

Under their new assignment, the 353 prosecutors will spearhead the Special Investigation Task Groups (SITGs) tasked through AO1, which President Rodrigo R. Duterte issued in October 2016 in a bid to solve media killings in the country.

Guevarra said the appointment of the 353 prosecutors serves as another solid manifestation of the Duterte administration’s commitment to bring the perpetrators of media violence to justice.

“We will bring our enemies to justice, or we will bring justice to our enemies; either way, justice will be served,” Guevarra said.

The PTFoMS, under the supervision of its executive director, Undersecretary Joel Egco, has been conducting seminars on AO1 and the task force’s functions in different regions of the country.

Aside from prosecutors, Philippine National Police, National Bureau of Investigation and media practitioners have attended the previous PTFoMS seminars.

Egco, a media practitioner, has promised to leave no stone unturned in going after perpetrators of the media-related cases. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...