Guns, sketch plan seized from PDEA ambush ‘mastermind’

ILIGAN CITY — Authorities recovered firearms and ammunition during Tuesday’s search on the residence of a suspect in the deadly Lanao del Sur ambush that killed five anti-narcotics agents last week.

Armed with a search warrant issued by Judge Wenida M. Papandayan of the 12th Judicial Region based in Marawi City, a team of police and military personnel searched the house of William C. Gandawali in Tagoloan II, Lanao del Sur, for violation of Republic Act 10591 or Illegal Possession of Firearms and Ammunitions.

Authorities said they also recovered what appeared to be a handwritten sketch plan of the deadly October 4 ambush that claimed the lives of five Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) agents.

Gandawali, who was not around during the search, was identified by several witnesses as the mastermind of the ambush in Kapai town last Thursday, said Chief Insp. Christopher Cabugwang, chief of the Lanao del Sur Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit (PDEU).

Cabugwang said the team also recovered from Gandawali’s residence a case folder of the buy-bust operation against Comayog Macapagal, who was killed in a PDEU-led buy-bust operation on August 8 in Marawi City.

Cabugwang said Gandawali and Macapagal are siblings.

Chief Supt. Graciano Mijares, regional director of Police Regional Office in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), said the ambush was likely a retaliatory attack for the death of Gandawali’s brother.

Mijares said Cabugwang, who led the operation that killed Macapagal, may have been the target of the ambush.

“They thought PDEA and PDEU are the same,” Mijares said.

Tuesday’s raid on Gandawali’s residence was conducted by different police units and the Army’s 82nd Infantry Battalion.

Among the recovered evidence from Gandawali’s residence were an M-16 rifle, .45-caliber pistol, and magazines and ammunition for both firearms. (Divina Suson/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...