House leader: VP Duterte’s refusal to explain use of confidential funds to blame for prolonging the inquiry; solon demands probe on “mystery assassin”

Vice President Sara Duterte (left) and House Leader Lorenz Defensor (right). Photo courtesy of HOR

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet

 The controversy surrounding the P612.5 million confidential fund of the Office of the Vice President (OVP) could have been resolved much earlier if Vice President Sara Duterte and her officials had cooperated from the start, a House leader lamented during a committee hearing on on Monday. 

During the 7th hearing of the House Blue Ribbon Committee, Deputy Majority Leader and Iloilo Rep. Lorenz Defensor said that the issue on the confidential funds could have been resolved on the first hearing of the committee had VP Duterte explained its use.

“If only all the resource persons attended and told the truth, it would take this committee only one hearing to conclude its inquiry on what happened to the funds of DepEd and OVP,” Defensor said during his exchange with Manila Rep. Joel Chua, chair of the House Committee on Good Government and Public Accountability.

Defensor highlighted the refusal of Vice President Duterte to appear before the committee and her failure to authorize OVP officials to explain the fund’s utilization. This lack of transparency, compounded by the absence and evasion of resource persons according to Defensor, contributed significantly to the prolonged inquiry. 

“Mr. Chairman, tama rin ho bang sabihin na kung naipaliwanag lang ng mga resource persons nang mabuti kung ano ang ginawa sa mahigit P600 million na intelligence and confidential fund instead of evading and not attending, ay may closure na sana at hindi na humaba ng ganito ang ating hearing at hindi na nagkaroon ng ganitong insidente?” Defensor asked.

The House inquiry, now in its seventh hearing, has been marked by heightened public scrutiny, largely due to Duterte’s earlier public meltdown and refusal to participate in the hearings. This has fueled suspicions of mismanagement and abuse of public funds, further delaying the committee’s resolution of the matter.

“I hope that this serves as an example na kung hindi sila dumadalo lalo pang tatagal at hindi po titigil ang chairman ng komiteng ito sa paghahanap ng katotohanan kung ano ang ginawa nila sa pondo ng bayan.” Defensor said, underscoring the committee’s determination to hold officials accountable and ensure transparency in the use of public funds.

Detainees’ health remains a top priority

The P612.5 million confidential fund allocated to the OVP has been a subject of intense scrutiny due to questions surrounding its sudden depletion within a short period. 

Critics, including lawmakers, have demanded detailed explanations regarding its utilization, particularly given its sensitive nature as a confidential fund. 

House Secretary-General Reginald “Reggie”Velasco, meanwhile, addressed concerns in an ambush interview at the People’s Center, explaining actions taken by the House to ensure due process and transparency. 

“Sinabi nga namin na hindi totoo ‘yong mga sinasabi na kinumpiska yung cellphone, walang access sa lawyer,” Velasco clarified. 

He stressed that access was granted during the serving of orders and that steps were taken to safeguard the well-being and health of detainees, including OVP chief-of-staff Zuleika Lopez, who is under medical evaluation. Recommendations regarding Lopez’s condition will be shared with the committee once formal documents are received.

When asked about heightened security measures at the House of Representatives, Velasco confirmed that additional protocols had been implemented due to reports of Vice President Duterte’s potential visit. 

“Nag-double security kami, tapos meron din kaming information na darating dito si VP,” he noted, adding that the Philippine National Police (PNP) was assisting in these measures.

Solon seeks investigation on VP Sara’s “mystery assassin”

Meanwhile, a lawmaker said that he wants an immediate and thorough investigation into the identity and affiliation of the assassin commissioned by Vice President Sara Duterte to target President Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta Marcos, and Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez. 

“The Vice President’s statement is deeply alarming and raises serious national security concerns,” said Bukidnon Rep. Jonathan Keith Flores.  

“We must ascertain who this ‘mystery assassin’ is. Is this individual part of the Vice President’s trusted security detail, a member of the notorious syndicate, or a hired gun? The fact that Vice President Duterte claims to have personally communicated with this person, who allegedly agreed to her directive, indicates a close and trusted relationship,” Flores asserted. 

Flores stressed the urgency of the situation, urging the Presidential Security Command (PSC), as directed by Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, to leave no stone unturned in uncovering the identity of this individual before it’s too late. 

“With the Vice President’s own admission, which she stressed ‘is no joke,’ and the fact that she is the primary beneficiary should the president be killed, VP Sara must be considered a person of interest,” he added.

The congressman also called for a review of the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG), which was allegedly established just days before former President Rodrigo Duterte left office, suggesting the potential for disbandment of VPSPG and allowing PSC to manage the security of both the President and Vice President under a single apparatus.

He called on all relevant authorities to conduct a comprehensive probe into these serious allegations to ensure the safety and security of the nation’s leadership and uphold the rule of law. (with report from Mela Lesmoras/PTV News)

-avds

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...