Houthis: Saudi-led airstrike in Yemen killed their political leader

FILE – Saleh al-Sammad, political leader of Yemen’s Houthis, center, addresses supporters during a rally in Sana’a, Yemen, Nov. 13, 2017. Sammad was reportedly killed last week in a Saudi-led airstrike. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

The Iran-allied Houthi rebels in Yemen said Monday that their political leader, Saleh al-Sammad, was killed last week in a Saudi-led airstrike.

Sammad was the most senior Houthi official to be killed by the coalition since it intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015 to try to defeat the Houthis after they drove the internationally recognized government into exile in Saudi Arabia.

Sammad was considered to be second on the coalition’s list of targets in Yemen, after the top Houthi leader, Abdel-Malek al-Houthi. A Saudi-owned broadcaster said there had been a $20 million bounty for information leading to Sammad’s capture.

The rebels said Sammad was “martyred” in the eastern province of Hodeida last Thursday.

“This crime won’t go unanswered,” rebel leader Houthi said.

More than 10,000 people have been killed in the civil war. In the latest violence late Sunday, the rebels said a Saudi airstrike hit a wedding party that killed at least 20 people, including the bride. | via Voice of America

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...