Hundreds of migrants rescued off Libyan coast: UNHCR

Xinhua News Agency

TRIPOLI – Hundreds of migrants had been rescued off Libya’s coast in two separate operations, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said on Sunday (Oct. 3).

In one of the operations, “around 500 people disembarked at Azzawiya Refinery Point after being rescued/intercepted at sea on wooden boat this morning,” the UNHCR tweeted.

In the other operation, the agency added, 56 people, including three children, were rescued after the engine on their rubber boat had broken at sea.

Libya, suffering insecurity and chaos since 2011, has been a preferred point of departure for migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...