Hurricane left at least 27 dead in Mexico’s Acapulco: government

View of the damage caused after the passage of Hurricane Otis in Acapulco, Guerrero State, Mexico, on October 25, 2023. (Photo by Francisco Robles / AFP)

Agence France-Presse

Hurricane “Otis” killed at least 27 people when it lashed the beach resort town of Acapulco on Mexico’s Pacific coast as a scale-topping category 5 storm, officials said Thursday.

The hurricane crashed into Acapulco Tuesday night into Wednesday with furious 165 mph (270 kph) winds, cutting off communications with the city and delaying updates on fatalities and damage.

“Unfortunately, we received word from the state and city governments that 27 people are dead and four are missing,” Secretary of State for Security Rosa Icela Rodriguez told a news conference in Mexico City.

She said communications with Acapulco were being gradually restored.

The main road connecting it with the capital has reopened but only in one direction, Rodriguez said.

Many people in Acapulco, which has a population of 780,000, were still without electricity Thursday because the storm knocked out dozens of electrical pylons.

“Acapulco is a total disaster. It is not what it was before. The park was totally destroyed, the buildings, all the streets,” 24-year-old resident Eric Hernandez said Wednesday.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...