IATF warns public against complacency as government tightens implementation of ECQ in Luzon

IATF PR

Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases spokesperson Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles announced that the government would tighten the implementation of the Enhanced Community Quarantine in Luzon, cautioning the public on Wednesday to avoid becoming complacent in order to prevent the Covid-19 virus from spreading.

The Palace official said that according to the Philippine National Police a total of 108,088 individuals in the whole country have been caught violating the ECQ as of April 13, and that the President and members of the IATF had noticed a growing complacency in the population with regard to following the guidelines of the ECQ.

“To address this and the reported increase in number of vehicles traveling along EDSA and major thoroughfares in Metro Manila, the PNP will strictly impose the policy on Authorized Persons Outside of Residence (APOR),” said Nograles.

Nograles revealed that the PNP-HPG has been directed to implement the following measures beginning on Wednesday: (1) the inspection of private vehicles to determine whether the driver and passengers belong to the list of APOR or not; and (2) if the driver or any of the passengers is unauthorized, HPG will issue LTO-TOP or MMDA-OVR tickets against drivers of private vehicles transporting Unauthorized Persons Outside Residence as identified by JTF CV Shield.

The lawyer explained that authorized persons include individuals exempted from the ECQ, which had previously been announced by the IATF, such as medical and health workers, government employees, workers in essential services, and other frontliners.

“Kung mapansin nyo po, humihigpit na rin ang ating mga pulis sa mga checkpoint sa ating mga barangay. Sana po intindihin natin na magiging effective lang itong ECQ sa pag-contain ng Covid-19 kung tayo ay hindi basta-basta na lang nakakaikot at nakakalabas,” stressed Nograles.

The cabinet member pointed out that the implementation of these stringent measures “is all being done for us and our families in order to prevent the virus from spreading.”

“We appeal to everyone to please cooperate and, as much as possible, stay home. Bahay muna. Buhay muna,” added Nograles.

“Mga kababayan, hindi tayo pwede maging kampante. We must remain vigilant, we must continue to work together, and we must make the necessary sacrifices to overcome the greatest public health crisis of our lifetimes.”

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...