Ilocos Norte gov assures livelihood aid to ASF-hit hog farms

(Photo courtesy of DA-6/FILE)

By Leilanie Adriano | Philippine News Agency

Ilocos Norte’s provincial government on Tuesday assured that farmers affected by the African swine fever (ASF) would get livelihood and food aid from the government.

Governor Matthew Joseph Manotoc said at least five local government units in the province have been hit by ASF anew.

The latest outbreak began in San Nicolas town and moved to Batac, Dingras, Piddig, and Laoag.

“We will take care of the affected (hog raisers) by giving them alternative livelihood and food aid,” he said during a media interview, appealing to the affected hog raisers to cooperate with the government and help address the problem.

As of this posting, the Provincial Veterinary Office said surveillance operations are ongoing in the affected areas while culling operations are being implemented within the 500-meter radius of the affected farms.

Previously, ASF was recorded in 16 towns and cities in Ilocos Norte—the cities of Laoag and Batac, and the towns of Pinili, Dumalneg, Bacarra, Nueva Era, San Nicolas, Burgos, Piddig, Sarrat, Vintar, Banna, Dingras, Marcos, Carasi, and Solsona.

These LGUs comprise more than half of the province.

While monitoring and contact tracing continue to determine the extent of the damage to the hog industry, Manotoc urged the affected hog raisers not to hide their issues.

“There is no point in hiding. It will only prolong the problem. So, let us be honest and let us secure our farms to protect our hog industry,” he said.

Provincial veterinarian Dr. Loida Valenzuela said in an interview that based on the latest production inventory of local government units, pork supply in the province remains stable despite the continuing threat of ASF.

“We have a stable supply of pork in the province with 627 heads as of this morning, [of] all ages. Laoag slaughters 150 to 160 per day,” she said.

She also reiterated the need for all hog raisers to implement biosecurity protocols to prevent the further spread of the virus.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...