Ilocos Norte residents urged to prevent grassfires

By Leilanie Adriano |Philippine News Agency

LAOAG CITY—The Environment and Natural Resources Office (ENRO) in Ilocos Norte has called on local residents, particularly those living in mountainous areas, to help prevent the occurrence of grassfires this summer.

Estrella “Baby” Sacro, project manager of the Barangay Ranger Officers, on Saturday said there had been grassfire incidents in previous years and this can be avoided with proper precautionary measures when going to the mountains.

In Ilocos Norte, several local government units such as the towns of Piddig and Carasi have been closely monitoring villages and reminded villagers about the impact of grassfire should it hit areas near them.

Sacro said the government has invested so much on the National Greening Program but this is nothing if people continue to destroy denuded mountains.

“We have been conducting a lot tree planting activities while taking care of our remaining forests. We enjoin everyone to observe discipline and respect Mother Nature which nurtures our daily needs,” Sacro said in an interview.

According to the fire officials, nearly 95 percent of all wildfires were caused by human activities.

Sacro advised the people to utilize the farm wastes for animal feeds or convert them into organic fertilizer instead of burning them.

While environment officials have intensified information and education campaigns, fire brigades have been organized in every village to facilitate better coordination with concerned authorities in the event of fire.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...