Iloilo biz club opposes proposed wage hike in west Visayas

ILOILO CITY — The Iloilo Business Club (IBC) is opposing the proposed wage hike in Western Visayas.

In an interview Monday, IBC executive director Lea Lara said that they will appeal for the Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board (RTWPB) to retain the existing minimum wage being implemented in the region.

The IBC will present its position paper during Tuesday’s public consultation to be held here in Iloilo City.

The Philippine Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Workers Union – Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (PACIWU-TUCP) has filed a petition for a wage increase before the RTWPB.

The petition seeks a PHP150 daily wage increase for those working in establishments with more than 10 workers; PHP140 for workers in agriculture plantation and PHP130 for workers of establishments with less than 10 workers and agriculture non-plantation.

Currently, the minimum wages in the region are PHP323.50 for those working in establishments with more than 10 workers; PHP281.50 for agricultural plantation workers; and PHP271.50 for commercial and non-agricultural employing up to 10 workers and agriculture non-plantation.
Wage Order RBVI-23 issued last year has already expired last March 16.

Lara said businesses in the region could not afford the rate that they are requesting.

“As much as possible we would like to give it a status quo because of the increase that was implemented last year that we think more than covers since it only reached one year,” she said,

“Any increase will put us higher than the other regions, we are competing with,” she added.

Earlier, Labor and Employment Regional Director and RTWPB chair lawyer Johnson Cañete said that two hearings conducted in Aklan last April 24 and Capiz in April 26 showed no opposition to the proposed increase.

Another public hearing will be held in Bacolod City on Thursday, May 10. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...