Iloilo City to tear down pedestrian overpass, upgrade Capitol complex

ILOILO CITY — The pedestrian overpass along Bonifacio Drive in this city is up for demolition in line with the redevelopment project of the Iloilo Provincial Capitol complex.

According to provincial legal officer Dennis Ventilacion, the demolition permit had been granted by the city engineering office.

Ventilacion said the city government had allotted PHP100,000 budget for the demolition to be implemented by Pabcon Builders and Construction Supply.

The city official recalled that the contractor had already previously received the Notice to Proceed to tear down the overpass, but was halted for lack of demolition permit.

But since there is already a demolition permit, the provincial engineering office will issue an order to proceed with the demolition, Ventilacion said.

In a previous press conference with Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr., Ventilacion said that the city government was targeting to demolish the overpass after the celebration of “Semana sang Iloilo” on April 10-13.

Ventilacion said the demolition would take seven working days. The pedestrian overpass was built in the early 1990s.

Meanwhile, Ventilacion said the Sangguniang Panlalawigan or Provincial Board approved the construction of a multi-level parking area worth PHP196 million last week.

The winning bidder is the DCMS Trading and Construction.

“We will just have the contract signing and release the notice to proceed,” he said.

The provincial government has allotted PHP400 million for the redevelopment project to transform the Capitol area into a leisure park. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...