Imelda Marcos’ camp to appeal graft conviction

By Filane Mikee Cervantes (PNA)

MANILA — The camp of Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos is eyeing to file a motion for reconsideration on Sandiganbayan’s decision, finding her guilty of seven counts of graft.

In a statement on Friday, Marcos said she has received a copy of the anti-graft court’s decision, noting that her legal counsel is already studying the case.

“Unfortunately, my Attorney of Record, Atty. Robert Sison, has been indisposed and is presently confined at the Asian hospital,” Marcos said.

“Justice Lolong Lazaro, who has previously appeared as counsel in this case, will act as my counsel in the interim. He is presently studying the decision and has advised us that he intends to file a Motion for Reconsideration,” she added.

The Sandiganbayan Fifth Division found Marcos guilty beyond reasonable doubt of seven counts of graft due to her “financial interests and participation in the management of private foundations in Switzerland” when she served as a Cabinet official during her late husband’s term.

The anti-graft court also sentenced Marcos “to suffer the penalty of imprisonment of from six years and one month as minimum, up to 11 years as maximum for each count of the graft case filed against her.” She is also perpetually disqualified from holding any public post.

The Sandiganbayan also ordered her to explain why she was unable to attend the promulgation of the sentence as neither she nor her lawyers were present.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...