Indonesian president orders investigation into football stadium stampede killing 129

Xinhua News Agency

Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Sunday ordered police investigation into a sporting stadium stampede that killed at least 129 people and injured about 180 others after a football match.

“I also ordered the police to fully evaluate the security procedures for football matches,” the president told a press conference.

He also instructed the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) to temporarily halt all football matches in the Southeast Asian country until the related investigation is complete.

Two policemen were among those who were killed in the incident. The tragedy, one of the world’s deadliest sporting stadium disasters, occurred on Saturday night at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang of Indonesia’s East Java province, right after Arema Malang club lost to Persebaya Surabaya in an Indonesian league football match.

Local media reported that supporters of the losing home team climbed over the fence and entered the football pitch, resulting in clashes with the police and a stampede.

Reports said the riot police fired tear gas at people, which caused panic among crowds. People rushed to leave the stadium, leading to a stampede at an exit gate.

“Around 34 people died inside the stadium and the rest died in hospital,” provincial police chief Nico Afinta told a press conference.

Meanwhile, Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Mahfud MD, said on his official social media account that there were no clashes between supporters of the rival teams in the match, because supporters of Persebaya, the winning team, had not been allowed to watch the match at the stadium.

“Victims mostly died of stampede, suffocation, squeezing and trampling,” he wrote, adding that 42,000 tickets had been issued for the stadium that has the capacity to hold only 38,000 people. – gb

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...