Iran says no plan for new U.S. nuclear talks, plays down impact of strikes

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and U.S. President Donald Trump. (Photo courtesy: HAMENEI.IR / Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

Iran on Thursday denied it is set to resume nuclear talks with the United States after the end of a 12-day war with Israel, and accused Washington of exaggerating the impact of U.S. strikes.

The most serious conflict yet between Israel and Iran derailed nuclear talks between Iran and the United States, but President Donald Trump said Washington would hold discussions with Tehran next week, with his special envoy Steve Witkoff expressing hope “for a comprehensive peace agreement.”

But Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi shut down what he said was “speculation” that Tehran would come to the table and said it “should not be taken seriously.”

“I would like to state clearly that no agreement, arrangement or conversation has been made to start new negotiations,” he said on state television. “No plan has been set yet to start negotiations.”

Araghchi’s denial came as Iranian lawmakers passed a “binding” bill suspending cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog and after supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei accused Trump of exaggerating the impact of U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear sites.

In a televised speech—his first appearance since a ceasefire in the war with Israel—Khamenei hailed what he described as Iran’s “victory” over Israel, vowed never to yield to US pressure and insisted Washington had been dealt a humiliating “slap”.

“The American president exaggerated events in unusual ways, and it turned out that he needed this exaggeration,” Khamenei said, rejecting U.S. claims Iran’s nuclear programme had been set back by decades.

The strikes, he insisted, had done “nothing significant” to Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. Araghchi, for his part, called the damage “serious” and said a detailed assessment was under way.

Trump said key facilities, including the underground Fordo uranium enrichment site, had been “obliterated” by American B-2 bombers.

Doubts remain about whether Iran quietly removed some 400 kg of enriched uranium from its most sensitive sites before the strikes—potentially hiding nuclear material elsewhere in the country.

But posting on his Truth Social platform, Trump dismissed such speculation, saying: “Nothing was taken out… too dangerous, and very heavy and hard to move!”

He added that satellite images showed trucks at the site only because Iranian crews were attempting to shield the facility with concrete.

Khamenei dismissed such claims, saying “the Islamic republic won, and in retaliation dealt a severe slap to the face of America.”

Both sides have claimed victory: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it a “historic win”, while Khamenei said Iran’s missile retaliation had brought Israel to the brink of collapse.

This picture shows a destroyed residential building that was hit in an Israeli strike, in Tehran, on June 25, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)

U.S. defense

In Washington, the true impact of the strikes has sparked sharp political and intelligence debates.

A leaked classified assessment suggested the damage to Iran’s nuclear program may be less severe than initially claimed—possibly delaying progress by only a few months.

That contrasts with statements from senior U.S. officials.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe said several facilities would need to be “rebuilt over the course of years.”

Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth accused the media of misrepresenting the operation.

He said the United States used massive GBU-57 bunker-buster bombs on Fordo and another underground site, while submarine-launched Tomahawk missiles targeted a third facility.

“President Trump created the conditions to end the war, decimating—choose your word—obliterating, destroying Iran’s nuclear capabilities,” Hegseth said.

Israeli security forces and first responders gather at the site of an Iranian strike that hit a residential neighborhood in the Ramat Aviv area in Tel Aviv on June 22, 2025. (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI / AFP)

Netanyahu says Iran ‘thwarted’

Following waves of Israeli attacks on nuclear and military sites and retaliatory missile fire from Iran since mid-June—the deadliest between the two countries to date—the U.S. bombed three key Iranian atomic facilities.

Initial intelligence reports, first revealed by CNN, suggested the strikes did not destroy critical components and delayed Iran’s nuclear programme only by months.

The Israeli military said Iran’s nuclear sites had taken a “significant” blow, but cautioned it was “still early” to fully assess the damage.

Netanyahu said Israel had “thwarted Iran’s nuclear project”, warning any attempt by Iran to rebuild it would be met with the same determination and intensity.

Iran has consistently denied seeking a nuclear weapon while defending its “legitimate rights” to the peaceful use of atomic energy.

It has also said it is willing to return to nuclear negotiations with Washington.

French President Emmanuel Macron told journalists after an EU summit in Brussels on Thursday that US strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities were “genuinely effective”.

But Macron said that the “worst-case scenario” would be if Tehran now exits the global non-proliferation treaty that is meant to limit the spread of nuclear weapons.

The Israeli strikes on Iran killed at least 627 civilians, Tehran’s health ministry said.

Iran’s attacks on Israel killed 28 people, according to Israeli figures.

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...