Iranian official slams new US sanctions amid nuclear talks

Xinhua News Agency

TEHRAN – An Iranian official on Tuesday (Dec. 7) night slammed sanctions freshly imposed by the United States on Iranian governmental agencies and officials.

“Even amid #ViennaTalks, the U.S. cannot stop imposing sanctions against Iran,” Saeed Khatibzadeh, spokesperson for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, wrote on his personal Twitter account shortly before midnight.

Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. Treasury Department announced it was freezing assets and banning U.S. nationals from engaging in business with agencies and individuals from several countries, on grounds of alleged “repression and the undermining of democracy.”

Among those sanctioned by Washington are the special units of Iran’s police, including its counter-terrorism force, two state prisons, and several officials and military commanders.

In his reaction, the foreign ministry spokesman wrote that the United States “fails to understand that ‘maximum failure’ & a diplomatic breakthrough are mutually exclusive.”

The new sanctions, Khatibzadeh added, will not strengthen Washington’s negotiating position in the process of reviving the 2015 nuclear agreement, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

The Vienna talks, which restarted on Nov. 29 to revive JCPOA after a months-long hiatus, are scheduled to continue on Thursday (Dec. 9). (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...