Iraqi forces launch operation to clear last Islamic State positions in desert

Armored vehicles take position in the middle of a desert near Syria border, Iraq in this still image taken from a video obtained by Reuters on Nov. 23, 2017. (Hashid Shaabi/Handout via Reuters TV)

Iraqi military officials say government forces launched an operation Thursday to clear the last Islamic State fighters from positions in the desert bordering Syria.

In a statement, the military said troops from the Iraqi army and Shi’ite Popular Mobilization Forces were taking part in the campaign to flush out militants hiding in a large section of border land.

The Reuters news agency quoted Army Colonel Salah Kareem as saying the objective is to prevent remaining IS groups from disappearing into the desert region and using it as a base to launch future attacks.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said Tuesday Islamic State fighters had been defeated militarily, but he would only declare final victory after the militants were routed in the desert.

Iraqi forces captured the last remaining town under IS control last week, signaling the collapse of the group’s self-proclaimed “caliphate” after it overran much of Iraq’s north and west in 2014. | via Voice of America

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...