Israel bans entry of foreigners due to new COVID-19 variant

Xinhua News Agency

The Israeli government decided on Sunday to ban the entry of foreign nationals into the country in an attempt to stop the spread of a new variant of COVID-19.

The announcement came after a late-night cabinet meeting in which the cabinet discussed reinstating restrictions against the pandemic.

The decision to close the country for foreigners will last for 14 days. In addition, phone-tracking technology will be put to use again in order to trace people who are obligated to quarantine.

Israel has so far confirmed one case of the Omicron variant that was first detected in South Africa.

In addition, a list of 50 African nations have been labeled as “red,” forbidding Israelis to travel to them. Israelis arriving from the continent are obligated to stay in quarantine.

All Israeli nationals who have arrived from Africa in recent days will likely be tested in the coming days as a precautionary measure.

The Israeli military announced on Saturday that it will be distributing hundreds of home COVID-19 tests to civilians who have returned from those countries. Quarantine hotels which were closed until recently, will be reopened.

“We are currently in a period of uncertainty,” said Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett at the start of the cabinet meeting.

Bennett said his goal is to maintain “an open Israel with a functioning economy and open education system.”

The new strain is believed to be more contagious than previous ones. It is still unclear how effective vaccines are against Omicron.

This week, Israel began vaccinating children from the age of five. The public response has so far been lackluster.

More than 8,100 Israelis have died of the virus since March 2020. There are currently over 7,000 active cases, with 120 people critically ill in hospital. (Xinhua) -rir

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...