Israel says no talks with a Palestinian government that includes Hamas

Hamas Chief Ismail Haniyeh speaks as he sits next to Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah during the meeting in Gaza City, Oct. 3, 2017. (Photo Courtesy: Reuters)

Israeli forces raided Palestinian media companies in the West Bank overnight in an operation the military said was carried out in response to incitement of violence against Israelis.

Eight companies were ordered to shut down for six months and two people were arrested.

Palestinian officials strongly condemned the raids, saying they violated press freedom.

Israel’s actions came hours after the government announced it would not talk with a Palestinian government that includes the militant group Hamas, unless a number of demands are met. They include Hamas’ disarmament, its repudiation of violence, and recognition of Israel.

“The government of Israel will not carry out political negotiations with a Palestinian government that relies on Hamas, a terror organization which calls for the destruction of Israel,” a statement from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office Tuesday.

Netanyahu also wants Hamas to give up Iranian support and return the remains of two Israeli soldiers and free two Israeli citizens believed to be held in Hamas-controlled Gaza.

There is little chance Hamas will agree to any of Israel’s demands. Spokesman Fawzi Barhoum called them “unacceptable Israeli interference in internal Palestinian affairs.”

A spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said “any Israeli remarks will not change the official Palestinian position to move forward with the reconciliation efforts to achieve the hopes and aspirations of our people in ending the division.”

Hamas and the more moderate Fatah movement reached a preliminary agreement last week to re-unify after a 10-year split. The split left Palestinian territories divided between two governments — the militant Hamas in the impoverished Gaza Strip and the more moderate Fatah in the West Bank.

Previous attempts at a united Palestinian government failed. | via Voice of America

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...