Itogon town to undergo geohazard assessment

by Liza Agoot/PNA

The Mines and Geosciences Bureau released in September a geohazard map of the municipality of Itogon. In the map, the large portion in brown were areas classified as highly critical and the red were areas susceptible to landslide and other hazards. (PNA file photo)

BAGUIO CITY — The mining town of Itogon in Benguet is set to undergo a thorough geological assessment and evaluation, months after it was hit by landslides due to torrential rains brought by Typhoon Ompong last year.

In an interview on Monday, Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan expressed appreciation to the Cordillera Regional Development Council (RDC) for approving their request for a geological assessment.

“We are thankful that they acted on it positively. We need the result as soon as possible so that we will be guided with what we need to do to help our constituents,” Palangdan said.

The study would determine the geohazard situation of the town, one of the hardest-hit areas during the onslaught of “Ompong”. On Sept. 15, 2018, scores were killed in a major landslide that hit the small-scale mining community of Barangay Ucab.

The Mines and Geosciences Bureau earlier declared a large portion of Itogon as unsafe, uninhabitable and within the “no-build” zones. These areas are Barangays Luneta, Loacan, Ucab, Ampucao and Gumatdang.

Six elementary schools, a national high school and several evacuation centers were also identified to be in areas highly-susceptible to hazards.

The Itogon town council passed Resolution 427-2018 on Nov. 27 requesting the RDC to facilitate the conduct of a thorough geological assessment earlier declared by the MGB as critical areas and no build zones.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...