Japan to spend $13 billion to boost domestic chip production

The city’s skyline during dusk is seen from Mount Hakodate, a famous tourist spot in Hakodate city of Hokkaido prefecture on November 9, 2023. (Photo by Philip Fong / AFP)

Agence France-Presse

Japan’s government said on Friday that it plans to spend 2 trillion yen ($13 billion) to boost domestic production of strategically important semiconductors and generative AI technology.

The planned outlays will include 700 billion yen ($4.6 billion) to support the construction of a Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) plant in Kumamoto, the firm’s second plant in the southern Japanese region, trade ministry official Motoki Kurita told AFP.

TSMC controls more than half of the world’s output of microchips, which are used in everything from smartphones to cars and missiles.

Kurita said the government will also spend 650 billion yen ($4.3 billion) to support Japanese startup Rapidus, which aims to develop next-generation microchips.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s cabinet approved the draft supplementary budget for the chip- and AI-related subsidies on Friday as part of a more than $100 billion stimulus package he announced last week.

The extra budget plan for this fiscal year will now be submitted to parliament for approval.

The move comes as pandemic disruptions and tensions with China have raised concerns globally about the risks to existing chip supply chains.

France, Israel, and the United States have also looked to incentivise chip-making at home or to take greater control of production.

Japan’s competitiveness as a producer of cutting-edge semiconductors and related products has waned in recent years, and Kishida’s government has sought to boost production of the vital technologies.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...