JBC begins deliberations for SC post Thursday

By Benjamin Pulta/PNA

MANILA — The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) will start on Thursday its deliberations on the 22 applicants vying for the position of Associate Justice in the Supreme Court (SC).

“After the first deliberation tomorrow (Thursday), the JBC executive committee will come up with the official list of contenders for the position, which will eventually be the subject of final deliberations by the JBC at its next meeting. Only then will the JBC shortlist be prepared and submitted to the president,” JBC ex officio member and Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said in a message to reporters Wednesday.

The applicants include Court of Appeals magistrates Oscar Badelles, Nina Antonio-Valenzuela, Ramon Bato Jr., Apolinario Bruselas Jr., Ramon Cruz, Stephen Cruz, Edgardo de los Santos, Japar Dimaampao, Ramon Garcia, Henri Jean-Paul Inting, Amy Lazaro-Javier, Jhosep Lopez, Mario Lopez, Eduardo Peralta Jr., and Ricardo Rosario.

Also among the applicants are Bureau of Internal Revenue Deputy Commissioner Lanee Cui-David, Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) Presiding Justice Roman Del Rosario, Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang and Associate Justice Efren de la Cruz, SC Court Administrator Midas Marquez, former Ateneo Law School Dean Cesar Villanueva and private lawyer and professor Jeremy Gatdula.

The candidate who will be picked by President Rodrigo Duterte takes the post of then Associate Justice Lucas Bersamin, who was appointed Chief Justice.

Duterte has so far appointed seven magistrates in the High Court, namely Noel Tijam, Alexander Gesmundo, Andres Reyes Jr., Jose Reyes Jr., Ramon Paul Hernando, Rosmari Carandang and Samuel Martires, who is now Ombudsman.

The JBC screens and vets nominees for vacant posts in the judiciary, Offices of the Ombudsman and Deputy Ombudsman before these are submitted to the President.(With Francesca Fajardo, OJT/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...