JBC interviews 2 bets for Supreme Court justice

MANILA — The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) on Thursday conducted its public interview for two aspirants for the Supreme Court (SC) Associate Justice vacancy following the retirement of Chief Justice Teresita Leonardo-de Castro.

The interviewees were Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Alex L. Quiroz and Centro Escolar University College of Law associate dean Linda Jimeno.

Quiroz said he would push for the installation of closed circuit television cameras in in all courtrooms in the country, citing it would deter misbehavior of judges.

When asked by JBC member, retired SC justice Jose Mendoza regarding the Philippines’ withdrawal from the International Criminal Court based on the rebus sic stantibus doctrine, Jimeno said the President can do so.

Rebus sic stantibus, in international law, means treaties become inapplicable when there are significant changes in circumstances.

Prior to his appointment to the anti-graft court, Quiroz was presiding judge of Pasig Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 156 and also worked for the Office of the Solicitor General.

Meanwhile, Supreme Court Associate Justice Estela Perlas-Bernabe accepted the automatic nomination from the JBC for the shortlist for Chief Justice.

In a letter to the JBC dated Oct. 15, Bernabe formally accepted the automatic nomination for the position and will be the 4th SC magistrate to apply for the post of Chief Justice.

Other SC Justices who accepted the automatic nomination for the position are Justices Antonio Carpio, Diosdado Peralta and Lucas Bersamin.

The JBC, a seven-member council tasked to vet nominees for judicial posts, earlier extended the Oct. 15 deadline for nominations for Chief Justice to October 26.

President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to appoint more than 10 members of the High Court during his six-year term.

He has already appointed six justices so far — Ombudsman Samuel Martires, Noel Tijam, Andres Reyes Jr., Alexander Gesmundo, Jose Reyes Jr., and Ramon Paul Hernando. (Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...