JBC set to ‘open’ search for new Chief Justice Monday

MANILA — The Judicial and Bar Council will soon present the shortlist of candidates to President Rodrigo Duterte for the top magistrate post, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Sunday.

The Supreme Court (SC) affirmed the ouster of former chief justice Maria Lourdes Sereno last week.

Guevarra said JBC is set to convene on Monday to officially open the nomination and application for the Chief Justice position which is now vacant following the ouster of Sereno through a quo warranto petition filed by the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG).

“The JBC en banc will meet on Monday and will surely take this up, it is expected that the JBC will direct the publication of a notice stating that it will now accept applications or nominations for the vacant CJ position,” said Guevarra, who sits in the seven-member body as Justice secretary.

The JBC is constitutionally mandated to screen applicants to the Judiciary and top Ombudsman positions.

It is currently chaired by Senior Associate Justice, now acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio, with ex-officio members including Guevarra, Senator Richard Gordon, and Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali.

Its regular members include retired Supreme Court Associate Justice Jose Catral Mendoza, representing the justices and chairperson of the JBC Executive Committee; Atty. Jose Mejia, representing the Academe, Atty. Milagros Fernan-Cayosa, representing the Integrated Bar of the Philippines; and retired Judge Toribio Ilao, representing the private sector.

Asked if the JBC would exclude women from applying for the highest judicial office, Guevarra said: “The JBC will submit to the President a shortlist of applicants, men and women alike.”

“Once on the President’s desk, it’s completely up to him (to choose the next Chief Justice),” he added.

The justice secretary said the selection for Sereno’s successor will be “based on merits and qualifications, and in accordance with the JBC rules.”

To qualify for a position in the judiciary, one has to be a natural-born citizen of the Philippines and should possess “proven competence, integrity, probity and independence”.

Those applying to the 15-member SC should also be at least 40 years old, a judge of a lower court or had been engaged in the practice of law in the country.

President Duterte needs to appoint Sereno’s replacement by September16. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...