Judge: Teen must repay $37 million for starting Oregon fire

FILE – The Eagle Creek fire seen burning along the Columbia River in Oregon, Sept. 5, 2017. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

A teenager who started a massive fire in the northwestern U.S. state of Oregon has been ordered to pay nearly $37 million in restitution over the next decade.

The 15-year-old admitted earlier this year that he threw two fireworks in Eagle Creek Canyon on Sept. 2. The fast-spreading fire caused evacuations, an extended shutdown of a major interstate highway, and devastation to a major outdoor tourist attraction.

A district judge on Monday ordered the teen to set up a payment plan to reimburse the victims, including the U.S. Forest Service and the Oregon Department of Transportation, $36,618,330.24 to cover the costs of firefighting, repair and restoration to the gorge, and damage to homes.

The restitution is solely the responsibility of the teen, and not his parents, who are immigrants from Ukraine.

Last week, defense attorneys called for a “reasonable and rational” penalty, calling the $37 million sought an “absurd” amount for the child.

The judge said if the teen makes agreed-to payments, completes probation and doesn’t commit other crimes, he can stop after 10 years.

The teenager was also sentenced to community service and had to write more than 150 letters of apology to those affected by the fire that burned 194 square kilometers.

The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area attracts more than 3 million tourists a year and holds North America’s largest concentration of waterfalls. | via Voice of America

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...