Leptospirosis kills 9 in Iloilo province

ILOILO CITY — Nine leptospirosis patients, mostly farmers, died in Iloilo province from Jan. 1 to Aug. 28 this year, the Iloilo Provincial Health Office (PHO) reported on Friday.

Dr. Patricia Grace Trabado, PHO chief, said the nine deaths are part of 88 cases of leptospirosis recorded over the period, which is higher by 283 percent compared to the 23 cases recorded in the same period last year.

Based on PHO data, those who died of leptospirosis were aged 11 to 40 and above.

Three of the deaths were from the town of Oton and one each in the towns of Cabatuan, Alimodian, Dumangas, Lambunao, Sta. Barbara, and Concepcion.

Trabado reiterated her warning to the public, especially to farmers in the province who have open wounds, to avoid exposure to contaminated water so they would not contract leptospirosis.

“For the past weeks, we have been experiencing rains and farmers have been busy with their farm lands,” she said.

However, if they cannot avoid it, they are encouraged to use rubber boots or even use plastic to cover their feet, especially in areas with wounds, she added.

Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that is spread through the urine of infected animals, especially rats.

The symptoms of the disease include high fever, muscle pain, redness of the eye, chills, severe headache, vomiting, diarrhea, or yellowish skin.

“They (public) should seek consultation from the doctor if they experience these symptoms,” Trabado added. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...